Your AGP events update for October and November ….
(1) October 15, 2015: Board Game Night
A night of trivia, cards, charades – you name it, hosted by Filiz Tamer at 94 John St W starting at 7:00 pm. An event has been created on Facebook; if your invite was missed, please e-mail back or ask a friend! Please bring your own games! Coupe and Dominion are available to play.
(2) October 16, 2015: Oktoberfest
Just a reminder to everyone that this weekend is Oktoberfest!! We hope you all got tickets and are ready for a night of good beer, food, and FUN! There are tickets still available online, ranging from $15 to $25 if you haven’t already gotten them yet!
(3) October 18, 2015: Ride and Seek
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/ride-and-seek-registration-18071721004?aff=ebrowse FREE participation! Between 10:00 am and 4:00 pm, get a team together of 2-4 of your friends, family, or co-workers for a fun competitive day biking around Kitchener-Waterloo taking photos of items on a scavenger hunt list! Grand Prize: 4 tickets to a Kitchener Rangers home game of your choice for the team with the most points. Please vote whether or not you would like to participate. Based on numbers, we will try to organize some teams! Please take 10 seconds to vote! http://doodle.com/poll/f32zfdrzpyfkk9af
(4) October 18, 2015: SWIGI
Supporting Women in Gender Issues (SWIGI) will discuss issues women face in the field of geography on a monthly basis with UW graduates, post-docs, and faculty in the School of Planning, Geography & EnvironmentalManagement, and Environmental Resource Studies.SWIGI’s inaugural event will take place Sunday, October 18th at 12:00 pm at Symposium uptown Waterloo. If you are interested in attending and/or receiving future emails about SWIGI events, please contact Katherine Laycock at email@example.com to be put on a separate mailing list by Oct 15th. An article for each month’s meeting will be sent out for discussion. The reading for October’s event is: Shaw, K. A., & Stanton, D. E. (2012). Leaks in the pipeline: Separating demographic inertia from ongoing gender differences in academia. Proceedings of the Royal Society B, 279, 3736-3741. doi: 10.1098/rspb.2012.0822
(4) October 27, 2015: The Fall 2015 Pragma Conference
Focusing on retail in the city getting on the ground to get a sense of where were at, explore the latest retail trends and attempt to answer a central question ‘Is e-tailing good for our cities?. The format of the session involves a keynote address from Doug Annand, President of Urban Metrics followed by a guided field trip to key retail destinations in Kitchener-Waterloo with local experts. Our stops include the evolving downtowns more recent commercial and retail developments, and lunch in St. Agatha. Following the tour, Pragma Council members will be divided into two groups each taking a position and preparing for our debate thesis E-tailing is good for the city. PLEASE RSVP; space constraint is a 40 seat bus so RSVP to Shelley by October 15th. In your response please indicate if you will be attending both the guided field trip and the dinner.
(5) October 31, 2015: Halloween Party
It’s that time of year again – dust off your costumes and head on over to 694 Queen St S for an awesome Halloween party! This party has always been a hit and this year will be no exception. Afterwards, we’re also planning on taking a walk around downtown Kitchener for Night Shift (Kitchener’s version of Nuit Blanche)! More details on the party to come on Facebook, closer to the date.
(1) November 5/6/13/14: Adventure Room in Kitchener
http://adventurerooms.ca/A fun way to build your teamwork and problem-solving skills! The cost would range between $21.00 to $23.00 depending on the number of attendees. Please vote whether or not you would be free for a fun night at Adventure Room followed by a few beers at a local pub. A poll has been started by Jon Pounder on our Facebook UWAGP page. Please join the group and vote!
(2) November 11, 2015: Brown Bag Lunch – Summer Student Internship Panel
Held in the EV3 School of Planning 3rd floor kitchen from 1:00 pm to 2:30 pm. If you’re curious about how your internship term will be like or how to go about applying for jobs, come and have a chat with a few of our 2nd year grad students!
(3) November 12, 2015: UWPAT Young Alumni Pre-Dinner Social
https://uwaterloo.ca/environment/events/uwpat-2015-young-alumni-pre-dinner-social Register NOW to meet and mingle with recent alumni, current students, peers, colleagues and friends of the School of Planning before the annual Toronto Planning Dinner on November 12, 2015.
(1) The UWAGP election is coming up next month! We recommend you to start thinking about whether you’d like to be a student executive member of the AGP. Take a gander at the potential role you could take over here: http://env-blogs.uwaterloo.ca/uwagp/about/meet-the-executive/ The newly elected members from the 1st year class will resume our roles come January 2016.
(2) We’d like a Social Rep from the 1st year class to attend the weekly AGP meetings held on Fridays at 12:30 pm. His/her job is to advise the AGP on 1st year schedules/availabilities and help with the planning of social events! This position will be part of the UWAGP election next month, as well. Rather than starting in January 2016, this position will start immediately after the election.
(3) PhD student lunches are now to be held in the EV3 3rd floor kitchen at 11:30 am!